To Make the Portrait of a Bird...

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

First paint a cage
with an open door.
Then paint
something pretty,
something simple,
something beautiful,
something useful
for the bird.
Now place the canvas against a tree
in a garden,
in a wood
or in a forest.
Hide behind the tree
without a word, without a move.
Sometimes the bird comes quickly
but it could also take long years
before she makes up her mind.
One must not get discouraged.
One must await.
If need be await years
the speed or the slowness of the arrival of bird
being utterly unrelated
to the success of the painting.
When the bird comes,
if she comes
observe the most profound silence,
wait for the bird to enter the cage
and when it is in
with the brush gently close the door
then
erase every single bar, one by one
being careful not to touch any of the bird's feathers.
Then make the portrait of the tree
choosing the most beautiful of its branches
for the bird.
Paint also the green foliage and the crispness of the wind,
the dust of the sun
and the noise of the grass animals in the summer heat
and then wait until the bird decides to sing.
If the bird does not sing
it is a bad sign.
Asign that the painting is bad.
But if it sings, it is a good sign.
A sign that you can sign.
Then you tear off very gently
one of the feathers of the bird
and you write your name in one of the corners of the painting.

Jaques Prevert

PS. I have no idea about your feelings at this moment - while reading these rows...
When it comes to me... These verses put a spell on me... So warm, sensible, colorful, peaceful... That's my mood today!

5 comments:

diver said...

You're in a good mood today ... err come to think of it, your blog is always in a good mood!

I researched the poem online. Some people say this poem is simply about "an artist’s attempt to find meaning in his art." I couldn't see that.

When I read the poem, I was certain it was all about romance ... about the art of attracting love to oneself. I really liked the part about closing the door then erasing the bars and seeing if the bird sings or not. How exciting!

ClaudelGFX said...

try to write a line of poetry each day and tell me how you feel when you finish the whole poem :) only then tell me about feelings or how powerfull will they be :)

XOXO said...

Hmmm, Claudiu... I am not so good at writing poems. The last time I've wrote about fall, spring, mom and love was when I was a pupil.
I will try.
Thank you for kind recommendation.

Unknown said...

Wow, what an incredible poem. It immediately brought to mind Maya Angelou's "I Know Why A Caged Bird Sings" but it has different layers to Mayas. Great post :-)

XOXO said...

Thank you, MGirl! "I Know Why A Caged Bird Sings"... Unfortunately, I didn't read this book. Is it worthy of attention?